This month, our focus turns to pastures – grazing, water management, crop types, livestock health and integration, etc.
Here is a list of resources related to whatever you need to learn most about pasture management, from free articles to our most recent issue of AcresUSA magazine.
Read Free Articles
Our EcoFarmingDaily.com website is a free resource for all kinds of in-depth articles, interviews and how-to’s on regenerative agriculture. Here are a few pasture and grazing-specific articles to get started:
- Pasture Management: Benefits of Biodiverse Forage – from Acres U.S.A. magazine
- Grass-Fed Beef: 10 Keys to Getting Started – by Will Winter
- Biodynamic Pasture Management – an excerpt from the book Biodynamic Pasture Management by Peter Bacchus
- Healing Clay: Harness the Power of Clay to Heal Your Horses and Pastures – by James C. Silverthorne
Best Books on Pastures and Grazing
- Albrecht on Pastures, Vol. VI by Dr. William A. Albrecht – a dive into how insufficient soil fertility is responsible for poor crops, weeds and thereby a poor diet for livestock.
- Biodynamic Pasture Management by Peter Bacchus – a multi-pronged approach to managing pastures that considers balance of fertility elements, organic matter levels, soil life, and particularly soil life forces.
- Grass, the Forgiveness of Nature by Charles Walters – a wide-ranging survey of grass forages and pastureland.
Find more books on pastures at the AcresUSA Bookstore in the Pastures and Grazing Collection.
Learn in Person
Get your boots on the ground at the On-Farm Intensive with Zimmer Ag this Aug. 15–16. Famed biological farmer Gary Zimmer and his daughter Leilani Zimmer Durand will walk you through their Otter Creek Organic Farm in Lone Rock, Wisconsin, for two days of intensive learning. Learn more here.
Or, if you aren’t free this summer, make sure to mark your calendar for the 2023 Eco-Ag Conference & Trade Show, Dec. 4-7, in northern Kentucky. The Eco-Ag Conference features multiple tracks of topics essential to farmers, including soil health, livestock management and farm management. The agenda is growing and will continue to be updated. Learn more about the 2023 Eco-Ag Conference here.
Read the June 2023 Issue
The June 2023 issue of AcresUSA magazine deals with the theme of pastures and grazing with a number of in-depth and educational articles.
Features within the magazine include:
BY KELLY MULVILLE
An innovative system in California incorporates sheep into the vineyard.
Principles for Managing Horses on Pasture
BY CHERRIE NOLDEN
The concepts regenerative grazers use for large ruminants apply to horses as well.
BY BAYLEN LINNEKIN
USDA rules harm America’s smaller livestock slaughter and processing plants, farmers and ranchers, and consumers.
…. AND MORE!
Stay Up to Date
Want free information delivered directly to your inbox each week on topics like pasture management, soil health and more? Sign up for our weekly Acres U.S.A. newsletter right here!