This month, we’re focusing on the topic of Vegetable Production. Looking to add another crop to your operation? Interested in increasing yield and quality of an already existing crop? Take a look at these resources centered around vegetable production in an economical, ecological operation.
Best Books on Vegetable Production
- The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman – In this revised and expanded edition of The New Organic Grower, master grower Eliot Coleman continues to present the simplest and most sustainable ways of growing top-quality organic vegetables
- The Whole Okra: A Seed to Stem Celebration by Chris Smith – Chris Smith developed a fascination with okra, and as he researched the plant and began to experiment with it in his own kitchen, he discovered an amazing range of delicious ways to cook and eat it, along with ingenious and surprising ways to process the plant from tip-to-tail.
- Crop Planning for Organic Vegetable Growers by Frederic Theriault and Daniel Brisebois – A practical handbook for organic or transitioning vegetable growers to successfully organize the complicated task of figuring out what to plant, when to plant it and how much to plant — before getting to the field.
- The Vegetable Garden Pest Handbook by Susan Mulvihill – Learn how to identify common vegetable garden pests based on both the damage they cause and their physical appearance. Then, discover the most effective organic pest-control products to minimize damage while still preserving pollinators and other beneficial insects.
- Plant Partners: Science-Based Companion Planting Strategies for the Vegetable Garden by Jessica Walliser – Intentionally growing certain plants together to benefit the whole garden now has science to explain its’ success. Jessica Walliser’s new vision of an old tradition is built around a modern understanding of the marvelous web of connections happening in the garden and how to use them to create real and measurable results.
Best Free Articles on Vegetable Production
Our free website, www.EcoFarmingDaily.com, is a great resource for in-depth articles on all kinds of topics related to organic, eco-agriculture. Some of our popular articles specifically about vegetable production include:
- Vegetable Seed Propagation Strategies by Louise Placek
- Onions for the Garden and Good Health by Jill Henderson
- How to Grow World Record Tomatoes by Charles Wilbur
- Organic Fertilizers for Horticulture by Louise Placek
Find even more great articles in the Grow Fruits and Vegetables section of Eco-Farming Daily.
Best Information on Vegetable Production
Every month, the Acres U.S.A. Magazine delivers educational, in-depth articles on a wide variety of topics related to ecological, economical agriculture. The recent April issue contains a wealth of knowledge on vegetable production from an eco-agriculture perspective.
April 2023 articles include:
No-till Vegetable Cover Crops
BY JESSE FROST
Different species of cover crops are appropriate for different growing scenarios.
Simple Yet Powerful
BY JESSE WISER
Growers can extract their own liquid amendments from bio-rich compost.
Improving Vegetable Production
BY JEAN-PAUL COURTENS
Updating the Roxbury Farm Vegetable Crop and Harvest Manuals for a wider adoption.
…. and more!
Previous issues of Acres U.S.A. magazine featuring vegetable production include:
To get similar resources in your inbox every week, be sure to sign up for our Acres U.S.A. weekly newsletters right here!